My catch phrases are “I am prominent up top” “All my party is in the front” because ever since puberty graced me with its presence (:smirk) my breasts were, for lack of a better term, front and center.
My favorite bra size was 38C. Oh how I remember all the cute bras available to me in that size. I could literally walk into any store and walk out with something cute without sacrificing my coin…then came motherhood. I was a C cup for years…YEARS I SAY! So when the birth of my son dropkicked me into the D league it took some getting used to. It ended up being a cute look because my curves filled out elsewhere as well. So I got to love up on my new body at that stage including my new boobs…then came my daughter. I had just gotten used to the D league, now you want to double it????? My daughter is ten and I STILL am not used to D or double D hence why I toggle between the two sizes. More on that later…
The ONLY store credit card I own is the one from the lingerie store that shall not be named (it rhymes with brick+tour+mia leak+gets LOL even I had to laugh at myself for that one.) I figured this was the only place I could go to satisfy my desire to don lacy underpinnings. After a while though, I realized that the store doesn’t care about well-endowed women *kanye voice*. I go in with my trusty card all excited to drop a couple bucks and am disappointed every… single… time; either by the selection of bras in my size or lack thereof, and the revelation that they have been measuring me incorrectly for years! Well ladies and gentlemen, my life was changed on Galentine’s Day thanks to the gorgeous ladies of Plus In The DMV.
Jayme and Shayna, the fashionable duo behind the Plus In The DMV podcast, hosted a Galentine’s Day celebration at Cherry Blossom Intimates. I had a chance to chat and bond with the ladies over the love of fashion and was introduced to the amazing attention to detail and care that went into creating the unique experience afforded to customers who visit Cherry Blossom Intimates. Plus In The DMV is all about getting the word out regarding inclusivity in fashion which is perfectly aligned with the mission of C.B.I.
Prior to unwinding with the ladies I signed up for a complimentary fitting with expert fit specialist Stacy. I went in with no expectations and a smidge of skepticism because again, I THOUGHT I knew my breasts. I see them everyday and I happen to love them. A brief history reveals that I had surgery when I was just 13 years old to remove a solid mass from my breast that left me scarred and it took me awhile to feel comfortable in my own skin. Admittedly, I still harbor a fear of having to endure something similar as I get older, but thankfully back then the mass was not cancerous. So I just knew that my size would be my size cause it’s been MY SIZE. I could not have been more wrong. I recorded the experience so you will have to watch it to get the BIG…and I do mean BIG reveal.
I truly learned a great deal and I made sure to include a few of the tips in the video. Here are a few that can assist you in your search for perfecting your pair:
- you will know your bra fits correctly when it fits flat against your skin EVERYWHERE (in between your cleavage, against your sides, etc.)
- you will know your bra fits correctly when it does not lift/rise up in the back
- the hooks in the back of your bra provide an additional inch in sizing which allows you go to up/down a size depending on whether you latch the inside or outside hook i.e. if you measure as a 39 (remember bras come in even numbers for the band) you would be able to do a 38 or a 40
- If you find a bra that you love but it is not available in your size you may be able to use your sister size to snatch it up. To find your sister size you go up a band (the number in your size) and down a cup (the letter in your size)
- when putting on your bra, lean forward a bit so that your entire breast gets in the cup, once you do that then take your hand and cross over your body to the opposite breast and bring the breast tissue under your arm into the cup as well. Our breast tissue extends under our armpit **bonus tip** This will ensure that your bra is placed correctly on your body
- get resized once/twice each year to accommodate changes in weight
These tips will help you to perfect your pair as I said earlier, but look do yourself a favor and visit Cherry Blossom Intimates. They are located in the Woodmore Town Center right across from the Massage Envy and a few doors down from Hook n Reel. You will not be disappointed. You will come away with increased knowledge, a boost in your self confidence and beautiful items to add to your wardrobe. I recommend taking your mom, aunt, sister, good good girlfriend, everyone will enjoy. C.B.I carries sizes from 28a up to 46N. If you have loved ones battling breast cancer they also offer prosthesis services and use the Bobbi Brown color system so they can accommodate 33 shades!
Thank you again to the ladies of Plus In The DMV for celebrating Galentine’s Day by equipping us with knowledge of self and helping us to walk away feeling beautiful. I salute the ladies behind Cherry Blossom Intimates, Dr. Regina Hampton and Jasmine Jones. You have gifted our community with a service that is transformative and invaluable.